Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Alcide Effect: Why Most of Us Will Never Look Like Him (and that's okay!)

Nearly everyone who incorporates the gym/exercise/working out into their lives devotes a small fraction of their day toward it.  That small fraction of time usually revolves around whatever you can do before or after work.  The career is what brings money into the household, and even housewives who go the gym can't spend hours on end there.  They have domestic responsibilities and other demands on their time.

Many of these same people see their favorite celebrities with their "perfect bodies" (I'll get to this again a little later) in magazines and on entertainment news programs and then try to copy their diets and workout routines.  They think doing so will magically make them look like that person.

I am guilty of this.  I see someone who's looking really good, and I go to my favorite "stand by" (google) to see what articles and other information I can find about the person-in-question's diet and workout.  I'm not sure if a lot of people do this, or if my eleven years in southern California made this second nature for me.  Hmmm...

About a year ago I tried the "Spartacus Workout" for a few weeks because part of me wished it would transform me into one of the guys on the Starz show (any one of them would have worked!).  The logical part of me knew that probably wouldn't happen, but that I would gain strength and flexibility (imporant!).  The Spartacus Workout is circuit-based, and is a very effective one used by the actors on the show.  I've been meaning to get back to that one on occasion.

I also tried the "Jason Stackhouse Workout" a while back but hurt my knee when I fell over while trying to do a headstand (it was very ugly and thankfully no one was watching). 

Apparently Ryan Kwanten does headstand pushups while working out.  Well, aren't we happy for him.

While we're on the subject of True Blood, (ohmanIcouldwritealldayaboutthatshowbutwe'llsticktotopichere),  we can't neglect Joe Manganiello, AKA Alcide Herveaux, the current sweetheart of the show's female and gay fan base (I'm probably being conservative if I say that only makes up two-thirds of the show's demographic).

You don't have to be a True Blood fan to know who Joe M. is.  Unless you live in a cave or the Amish community, chances are you've seen pictures of him around.  I decided a while ago that I would google his diet and workout routine, and naturally, a ton of articles popped up.

I'll save you a little homework.  Joe goes to the gym twice a day.  He does cardio for 45 minutes in the morning before eating anything.  I've never understood how someone can do intense cardio activity like biking or running on an empty stomach.  If you do, please feel free to educate me.  I'm always a student in the world of fitness.

Back to Joe!  He, of course, eats a very strict diet.  I don't remember all the details, but I do recall a lot of protein.  He does weights later in the day around evening time.

The difference between Joe and you and I or (insert name of any hot-bodied female star) and my women readers is that these celebs are PAID to look like they do.  We are not.  We don't have time to go to the gym twice a day.  Most of us have our eight-hour workday, plus our workout.  And because of work and a long day and precious time doing other household errands, taking care of the kids, etc., our exercise time suffers.  Oh, and most of us don't eat clean diets.  That's because our livelihoods don't depend on it.

So guys, the next time you pick up a muscle mag with a super-pumped guy on the cover or see a pic of "Alcide" online, remember, it's their job.  Actors work long hours, but they also get plenty of downtime.  Oh yeah, they also get airbrushing.  I forgot about that part.

Ladies, same thing with Jennifer or Jessica or whoever else's perfection has you in a tizzy.

Just remember taking the time to take proper care of our bodies is important because we only get one, but it's also what's on the inside that counts!  There is nothing more unattractive that someone who's hot on the outside but ugly on the inside.

This brings us to photo time!  Guess which one of these photos probably wasn't touched up?  And--based on facial expressions, guess which one appears to have just woken up?  If anyone can figure out how to make mine look good, please feel free to lift it and send the modified version back to me!!




No comments:

Post a Comment