Monday, September 10, 2012

All the Damn Cardio!

Anyone who likes to run will tell you that it gets addictive.  If they say no, then they're like that alcoholic or junkie who's happily enjoying their drug of choice and remaining in denial.  Keep a runner indoors on a couple of rainy days, and we're climbing the walls and getting a lot fidgety.

Unlike with alcohol or drugs, many of us runners enjoy a "healthy" addiction -- even if we tend to lose too much weight and sometimes carry it so far that we get sidelined for a little while with an injury.

During my early adult life, I had periods of going to the gym, and then a few lapses along the way.  "Kurt 1.0" was too busy doing "other things" (think Miller Lite, lots of vodka tonics, and a pack-or-more of Marlboro menthols per day) instead of taking care of his body.  When I did work out, 20 minutes of the elliptical or the stairclimber after weights was my only cardio.

After getting sober in 2007, I began focusing on physical activity more, and during 2009-2010, I started running.  I had jogged off and on at times in previous years, but never anything long distance.  It all began with me getting ready for a 5k, and then grew into a whole other monster.  Instead of 3.1 miles, I was soon going for runs that lasted four or five miles. The mileage continued growing.  I signed up for a half-marathon.  I woke up an hour or more earlier every day and would go for my run (which itself was turning into an hour or longer) before showering and getting ready for work.  I was about 20-25 pounds overweight during the first part of '09, and all of this running made me drop all of that extra poundage and then about 20-25 pounds more that I did not need to lose very fast!!

I ran the half-marathon, and that still wasn't enough for me.  I NEEDED MORE!!  I signed up for a marathon that was to take place four months after the half.  I got busy training for the next race.  People were making comments about the stick figure I was transforming into (the half-marathon pic from February 2010 is posted below), and a couple of people who hadn't seen me in a while audibly gasped and asked if I was "feeling well." 

My weight, which is normally at a healthy range in the 170's now, was down in the 150's.  People kept telling me to eat, and I was.  Everything in sight!  But running 10-12 miles each day will burn up everything you put into your body.  You still burn calories and fat while you sleep! 

I enjoy running, am very passionate about it, and will never give it up.  But thanks to being away from southern California and back in the Louisiana weather, I don't go past five or six miles these days, and the treadmill is just so boring in the summertime.  I usually turn it off after about 30 minutes and/or three or four miles.  I'm very excited because I joined a running group this weekend and will get the opportunity to meet more cool people. (Newks in Monroe, 6:30 P.M. on Sundays-- COME OUT!)

The rest of my cardio comes from teaching spin class and taking spin from the other cycling instructors at my gym.  Which brings me to my point finally (yes, I know) -- it is hard to gain weight and bulk up when you are a cardio junkie, as I am.  When I started the blog and decided to become a "late-in-life faux bodybuilder" for a year, a couple of people told me, "You're going to have to cut back on the cardio if you think you can actually do this."  One friend told me that just yesterday. 

Running is a love of mine that has developed over the past three or so years and won't ever go away.  No matter how hard I try to gain weight, I can't let go of the run.  I also love teaching my regular spin class on Tuesdays (and whenever else I'm needed as a sub), and taking it a couple of other times during the week with the other instructors.

My goal right now is to work hard in the weight room and put on weight -- and still enjoy my cardio time.  I have to find the right balance!  Wish me luck.


Thankfully, I have a few more pounds to work with today than I did with this puny little 158 lb. frame from back in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment