Friday, September 14, 2012

A Lack of Willpower, Or Are There Too Many Choices?

I did shoulders today, HARD, and I can barely type right now.  Oh my gosh, ARNOLD PRESSES ARE A BITCH AND A HALF!!!  If you are trying to get bigger and bulk up, I highly recommend that you "like" MusclePharm's page on Facebook.  New workouts are posted there several times a week, and they aren't for the faint of heart.  I photo-grab them on my phone all the time and off to the gym I go!

That being said, I was doing my usual "reading around" on the web yesterday and saw that the soda/sugary drink restriction proposal passed in New York City yesterday, banning drinks 16 ounces or larger in fast-food restaurants, theaters, and other eateries (it doesn't apply to convenience or grocery stores).  Of course, many New Yorkers call this a gross government intrusion and say it isn't fair.  I actually have to wonder if those who object to the new rules are perhaps right.

I usually solve the dilemma by skipping the soda and having a nice bottle or glass of WATER instead (no restriction on size there either), but I won't get on a soapbox about that.  At least not today anyway.

Does anyone need that huge Big Gulp from 7-Eleven?  Of course not!  But should we be the ones taking the responsibility for our own welfare instead of having the government do it for us?  Hmmm.  In this day of all-you-can-eat buffets, fast-food joints on every corner, and all-you-can-drink specials out at the bars and clubs on the weekends, there is a lot of potential out there for turning one into a glutton.

One day my Mom was talking about how tasty Coca-Cola used to be, back in the days when it was in the glass bottles.  Then she continued on about plastic bottles, how the taste wasn't the same, and how hard-pressed it is to find a soda bottle smaller than 20 ounces anymore.  The old Coke bottles, I believe, were 8 or 10 ounces, so naturally our conversation moved to portion sizes of drinks and food and how they are out of control now.

Who is to blame for that? Greedy vendors and manufacturers?  Or the wide-eyed consumers, who buy them and eat/drink up and soon don't fit into their clothes anymore?  More importantly, why can't we say NO sometimes and cut some of our portion sizes in half?

I had an occasional "cheat night" on Fridays where I would hit the Taco Bell drive-thru on Fridays after work and get a little "something something" to take home and sit with in front of the TV.  Of course, that has ended, since seeing "some" abs again has kept me on the straight and narrow lately. 

I always ask myself what MusclePharm co-founder Cory Gregory or "Amer the Hammer"  (@muslepharmpres and @amerthehammer on twitter, respectively -- OR you can also look them up on Facebook!) would do. :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment