Friday, September 7, 2012

Friday After Party

Before I go into all the post-workout stuff, let me add that it is very important to take a multi-vitamin and something for your joints if you are working out or engaging in any kind of strenuous physical or cardiovascular activity!  I take One-A-Day Men's and Glucosamine Chondrotin with MSM for my joints (something I started when I was marathon training a couple of years ago).  I've heard arguments for and against multi-vitamins, which ones are best, which ones are bunk and blah blah blah...

My own personal opinion (keep in mind I'm not a physician and have never played one on TV either--haha) is that a multi-vitamin is only effective based on the individual and their metabolic rate.

Today I did a one-mile warm up, running on the treadmill, did back and biceps for about an hour and then ran for two more miles on the treadmill (it's hot outside) and then did abs for ten minutes before leaving the gym.  I always save abs for last.  I used to do it first, or last right before cardio, but started waiting and doing it very last, around the time I gave up bread and pasta (bad carbs! bad carbs!).

Post-workout, I take a scoop of creatine monohydrate (GNC Brand).  This is the LAST store-bought item in my cabinet.  I've had it forever, and it still hasn't run out.  I've learned that ordering supplements online (I recommend bodybuilding.com) is much easier and cost effective than going to a nutrition store.  Going to a store is time consuming, and in the end, you will spend way too much money.  I won't name names, but my Monroe peeps know which businesses charge out the wazoo around here.

The creatine I use is just the bland white powder.  I mix it with water and drink it fast and get it over with.  I may actually replace this product with another brand after I'm done with the cannister.  I'll have to research it.

Oh yes, the stereotypical raw egg drinking... I'm afraid to say I DO go there.  I usually crack three eggs, only drink the whites and throw the yolks down the garbage disposal.   I also have a scoop of Amino-X, the red container in the photo below.  It's a recovery agent that you can drink after a workout, or at leisure during the day, depending on your schedule.  I've tried both the green apple and fruit punch flavors.  Neither is too bad, but I prefer green apple.

I've tried different kinds of whey protein and other protein powders over the years and even in the past year.  I must say I LOVE MusclePharm Combat.  I know I keep touting MusclePharm, but I've felt results and liked all the products of theirs I've tried, and they do have a mostly-solid reputation among the online gym crowd.  Again, you will pay a lot at the store for MusclePharm products, so I urge you to order them online.  You will save money.  It is all about saving money anytime you order things online!!  The only two things I will probably never order online are pants and shoes.








1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog Kurt. The tip about joint juice / taking some glucosamine/chondroitin if you're working out is such good advice. Advice that I'm going to start following for sure! And I think so many people don't take a daily multivitamin and it is so necessary even if you eat really healthy!

    ReplyDelete